Where's my money tree?


Why is adoption expensive? I ask myself that all the time. Initially starting the process, I figured Tyler and I would be able to afford this as we go. We even decided to be proactive and get into hobbies that could help us bring in more money aside from our 40 hour a week pay

The more I looked at the agency fees spreadsheet, the more I internally questioned myself that could we do actually afford to do this.

So seriously, why is adoption do expensive??

Adoption is not for the parents, the number one reason is for the betterment of the child. The US and other countries over the years have tighten the requirements on adoption due to some going through the process to "buy" children for trafficking. Almost all of the expenses are for the paperwork to be processed, translated, and assuring that each form meets the strict requirements.
The child's safety is the most important thing in the entire process. 

Each country is different in costs. South Korea, China, and India are some of the top countries to adopt from, thus their costs are high. I came across one South Korea program that was $50k!!! $50k!!!! WHAT?!??!

Our situation could be as much as $35k before paying for travel and lodging. PS: India requires parents to finalize the adoption in their country...so you MUST go there to pick up your child. If not both parents, than at least one.
I believe that has changed over the 30yrs I've been on this planet.

Here is a breakdown of the average costs for an international adoption (these are estimates from my research):

Home study application - $300
Home study - $2,000
Home study update - $1,000 typically you have to update your home study each year in case of any significant changes.
Placement agency application - $350
Program fees - $17,000 to $20,000
Court/Legal fees - $2,000
Federal & State documentation - $1,500
Visa fees - $1,200
Travel/Hotel expenses - $3,000 to $5,000
Post placement fees - $1,500 to $2,000
Medical visits - $70 to $500
Miscellaneous - $100 to $5,000     

Potential Out of Pocket Cost:  $30,020 to $40,850 
      


It is hard to be exact because every situation is so different.  Of course, we pray it will be as inexpensive as possible, but that is out of our control. However, God knows best and He knows the intent in our heart. There's a child out there for us and He will bless us when the time is right. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a weekend! I'll take another, please.

And we're back!

It's Sunday funday and we've had quite a weekend