Adoption Update: OCI + Renunciation

Lately, I've been working on collecting paperwork to apply to the Indian govt. for OCI in lieu of PIO and renunciation. Basically the PIO/OCI is a visa that can be used for travel and it states that I'm of Indian heritage which would allow us to adopt a "healthy" baby that is younger than a year old.
Let's note that Tyler and I are open to any child up to the age of five who may or may not have minor/correctable needs....this visa tho IF approved will just give us a wider net.

While I was home I was able to find my Indian passport, and was just so cool to see in person. I've made several scans of it, but like my current passport it too has to leave my possession for processing by the Indian Embassy. It's so hard to let go of two major important pieces of information...one that is a part of my beginning, my adoption story, my history, and the other that is current. I know that the embassy is familiar with handling important documents, but still I have anxiety of sending important items such as these to them.



Truthfully, this is hectic work! I keep reminding myself that it is all a part of a bigger joy though. So the whole process should take about 45 days. I'm hoping for shorter amount of time but who knows. I really just hope that I receive my Indian passport back....there have been a few occasions where some don't get returned. However, I did call the embassy to make a plea and included a written plea in my application.

Both items are important to apply for if you're an adoptee from India....travel and if you choose to adopt. I didn't realize that at 30 years old I would have to actually renounce my citizenship to India. I figured that was a given once I became a US citizen. I do understand that some countries allow dual citizenship but India is not one of them. Booo!!!

If you haven't done it, I'd recommend it. Simply put this is all for India acknowledging me as a person of Indian origin. So today I'm sending out my OCI application and tomorrow, my renunciation application. Hopefully it goes smooth!!!

If you're interested in applying for renunciation or OCI in lieu of PIO, head over to Cox & Kings Global Services.

_____________________________________________________

In the meantime, I get to put more focus into our Lola's Brush paint party that we'll have next month. I'm definitely raking in lots of raffle items, so that's good. The girls are great! Tyler is doing well at work and Spring is starting to peak through.

A few ways how you can help us:

- Pray! We need all the prayers possible for a smooth process.

- If you are in the Champaign area, we will be having a Lola's Brush party in May with several raffle items. Keep an eye out on Lola's Brush page for information about our upcoming event.

- If you're local to us, we will be hosting a garage sale in June and would appreciate any household items you feel comfortable donating to us.

- If you're far from us, we will be holding a puzzle piece fundraiser soon, so keep an eye out for that. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a weekend! I'll take another, please.

And we're back!

It's Sunday funday and we've had quite a weekend